Saturday, July 23, 2011

A different take on computerized HVAC

So I've often wished that my home's HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning) had a little bit smarter "brain" so that I could tie into my "Smart Meter" or maybe even have some kind of android app so that I could control my home's temperature from remote. However, some Microsoft Researchers had a totally different take on computers and HVAC....

Essentially, computers produce a lot of heat.... why waste all that heat when it could be put to use heating homes?

While the idea is a bit "out there"... fundamentally, I think this kind of thinking is going to become very important to society. Why waste all of that heat and then consume yet-more-energy to heat a home? We need to start looking at our "waste" products of our processes and try and do a better job of determining if there is a better use for them.

Unfortunately, in Texas, I really don't need heat all that much... I just need some appliances that put out cool air as a waste product.

Amplify’d from www.i-programmer.info

Heat your home with a server or two


Written by Harry Fairhead

  

Friday, 22 July 2011 00:00

Rather than build server farms that produce a lot of waster heat, why not have distributed Data Furnaces, that heat home and offices at the same time as providing cloud computing?

Read more at www.i-programmer.info
 

No comments:

Post a Comment